Frequent small maintenance requests: normal ownership cost or a warning sign?

bo.zane

Property investor
I rent out a studio in Amsterdam, and the tenant has submitted several minor maintenance requests over the past few months. Each request is plausible, and the rent is always paid on time, but repeated call-out charges are starting to add up.

I want to stay responsive and retain a reliable tenant without automatically booking a separate visit for every non-urgent item. I’m considering keeping a maintenance log, asking for photos and a clear description, and grouping unrelated minor jobs where local notice requirements and urgency allow. My bigger concern is whether the frequency could point to an underlying issue—particularly with the electrical wiring—rather than a string of small faults.

For landlords who have dealt with this pattern, what became important after the first few requests: the type and recurrence of the faults, the maintenance history, or the tenant’s reporting habits? At what point did you arrange a broader inspection instead of continuing with individual repairs? I’d also be interested in how you weighed call-out costs against tenant retention, vacancy time and turnover costs.
 
Back
Top