Good Dubai tenant paying AED 1,236 below market: increase or retain?

cleo_lark

Homeowner
I’m deciding what to do at the next renewal on a Dubai property valued around AED 972,600. The tenant pays AED 5,022, while comparable market rent appears to be about AED 6,258. They pay reliably, report maintenance problems early and look after the home.

I’m reluctant to risk that stability, but the AED 1,236 monthly gap could become harder to close later. Would you make a modest predictable increase, freeze the rent, or pair a review with agreed improvements? I’d especially value completed local examples showing vacancy time, turnover costs and the eventual rent—not just advertised asking prices.
 
I wouldn’t try to close the whole gap in one renewal. First calculate what one empty month, preparation work and reletting would cost compared with another year at AED 5,022. Also, how long has this tenant been there, and is the low maintenance history partly because they report issues before they become expensive?
 
One caveat to my earlier answer: the financial comparison only matters if the proposed increase and notice are allowed under the current Dubai rules applicable to this tenancy. Confirm that before discussing a figure. I’d also verify that AED 6,258 comes from genuinely completed comparable deals; asking rents can make the gap look more certain than it is.
 
A reliable tenant is valuable, but leaving the rent unchanged can make the eventual correction harder. Once you have confirmed the permitted increase and tested AED 6,258 against completed comparable lettings, compare a smaller rise with the full cost of vacancy, preparation, marketing and deposit reconciliation.

If the numbers support an increase, give the tenant clear notice and explain it early rather than trying to recover the entire gap. I would only connect improvements to the renewal if the tenant wants them and the scope, timing and effect on rent are recorded in writing.
 
Back
Top