Good tenant is $430 below Miami market—raise gradually or hold?

DirectField

Property investor
My Miami apartment tenant pays $1,740, while comparable market rent appears to be about $2,170. They pay on time, report maintenance issues early and look after the home.

I do not want that $430 monthly gap to keep widening, but vacancy, turnover work, deposit handling and the uncertainty of a replacement tenant all have costs. Would you make small predictable increases, leave the rent alone, or pair an increase with agreed improvements? I welcome disagreement, provided the assumptions are clear.
 
I would not chase the full $2,170 with this tenant. First confirm those comparables really match the apartment’s condition, lease terms and included costs. Then estimate one realistic vacancy period plus cleaning, repairs and reletting effort. A moderate increase can preserve stability while narrowing the gap. Give proper notice under the lease and current Miami/Florida requirements rather than treating the next payment date as the deadline.
 
I partly disagree with framing this around “market” versus “no increase.” How long has the rent been $1,740, and are any significant repairs or upgrades already due? If it has been frozen for years, a clearly explained increase may be reasonable; if maintenance has been deferred, promising improvements alongside a review is stronger. I’d write down the turnover cost you could actually tolerate, then set a renewal figure below the point where losing this reliable tenant makes financial sense.
 
Back
Top