Guess the eventual sale price: 5-bed coastal home at $355,000

jules.page

First-time buyer
A 5-bed coastal home has come up at $355,000. It has 2,640 sq ft, is described as being in average condition and has spent 87 days on the market.

What sale price would you predict? Post one number and the two facts carrying the most weight for you. I’m especially interested in whether the long marketing period matters more than condition, floor area or any service charges that may apply.
 
$330,000. My two facts are the 87 days on market and average condition. That combination suggests buyers have had time to compare it with alternatives and have not seen enough value at $355,000.
 
I’ll say $342,000, mainly because 2,640 sq ft is substantial and five bedrooms widen the possible uses. I wouldn’t automatically treat 87 days as evidence of a large discount in a coastal market. Do we know whether that is 87 days at the current price, or whether there were earlier reductions?
 
$318,000. The asking price has apparently failed to produce a deal after 87 days, while “average condition” leaves room for buyers to price in work. I agree with sam_hill that the listing history matters, though; a recent reduction would change my guess.
 
On reflection, one completed sale nearby would help more than another active listing. Without that, we’re guessing whether the issue is this house or local supply. I’ll keep my $318,000 estimate rather than assume the floor area guarantees demand.
 
$350,000. I think the previous guesses penalise the marketing period too heavily. Five bedrooms and 2,640 sq ft are my two drivers; a large coastal home may simply have a smaller buyer pool and take longer to match, without needing a major reduction.
 
That’s fair, victort80, but bedroom count can cut both ways. Five bedrooms within 2,640 sq ft might mean less generous shared space, depending on the layout. I’ll split the difference at $336,000, driven by the floor area and 87 days on market.
 
$325,000. Average condition is my first factor, because presentation can matter strongly when buyers are comparing coastal homes. The second is the $355,000 asking price: after 87 days, I would expect an accepted offer to leave a meaningful but not extreme gap. Any service charge could move my estimate lower, but none has been stated.
 
I’ll be the optimistic one: $358,000. The 5-bed configuration and 2,640 sq ft are the two facts I’m using. If local supply is limited, the eventual buyer could value the space more than earlier viewers did. Of course, evidence of repeated price reductions would undermine that argument.
 
$338,500, based on the asking price and time on market. It allows for negotiation without assuming that 87 days means distress. To make the exercise less speculative, I’d next look for the original listing price, each reduction date and one genuinely comparable completed sale. Those would show whether the home is stale, recently repositioned or simply normal for the local market.
 
Back
Top