Hello from Abu Dhabi — buyer focused on townhouses

otis.cedar

Buyer
Established
I want to settle on a comparison method before I start arranging serious viewings, rather than rush into a townhouse because the advertised price looks attractive. I’m in Abu Dhabi and preparing for my first property purchase, so I’m currently working through transaction costs, mortgage options and the difference between listing figures and completed sales.

My aim is to build a sheet that can handle both a home-purchase case and an investment case without mixing the assumptions. Where would UAE buyers begin on the forum: the local board, completed-transaction discussions, financing threads, or another source of practical first-purchase questions?
 
Welcome. I’d begin with the local UAE board and look for discussions based on completed transactions rather than listing screenshots. Keep two columns for price: the advertised figure and any verifiable completed figure. Put purchase costs in a separate section so they don’t disappear into the headline price comparison.
 
The missing detail is what the townhouse is meant to do for you. Will it be your home or an investment, and are you considering completed properties, off-plan purchases, or both? Also decide whether financing is likely. Those answers change which discussions on mortgages, management and renovation will actually be useful.
 
The practical limit is how much detail you can verify for each property. A single market-wide discount between listing and sale prices will not help if one townhouse is renovated and another needs substantial work.

I’d record layout, condition, plot position and any obvious renovation requirement beside the two price columns suggested above. Then decide whether the home-use or investment case matters more. If both remain possible, keep them as separate scenarios until financing and management costs make one clearly less workable.
 
I slightly disagree with starting from transaction data alone. For a first purchase, I would map the full buying process first: financing assumptions, transaction costs, legal questions and the point at which each payment may arise. The exact requirements depend on the jurisdiction and purchase structure, so use forum posts to form questions rather than as a substitute for current local guidance.
 
A practical model could have four blocks: acquisition price and costs; mortgage scenarios; annual ownership and property-management assumptions; and a reserve for renovation or unexpected work. Then run the same townhouse through a home-use case and an investment case. That should expose which missing figures matter before you spend too much time comparing listings across areas—or across countries where the buying process differs.
 
Back
Top