Hello from Abu Dhabi — first-time buyer focused on townhouses

LenaLee

First-time buyer
Established
I’ve looked through some Abu Dhabi townhouse listings and mortgage information, but the full cost of a first purchase is still unclear. Asking figures are easy to find; reliable completed-price comparisons, transaction costs and realistic renovation allowances are harder to put together.

I’m also undecided whether the property would remain my home or might later be rented, which makes management costs relevant. Should I first narrow the search to a few communities and work through the local discussions, or build a legal, finance and purchase-cost checklist before comparing individual homes?
 
The main constraint is getting comparable figures rather than collecting more listings. I’d narrow the search to a few communities, record available completed-price evidence separately from asking prices, and then add financing and purchase costs.

The lowest asking figure may be misleading if, for example, that townhouse needs substantial renovation. Its intended use matters too: a future rental needs management and vacancy assumptions that would not carry the same weight for a long-term home.
 
What is the intended use: your own home, a rental, or something that may switch between the two? That changes which discussions will help most. An owner-occupier may prioritise layout and renovation, while an investment model needs realistic management, vacancy and ongoing-cost assumptions. I’d also narrow it to a few communities before comparing prices; otherwise townhouse figures can be too broad to mean much.
 
I’d put the legal and transaction checklist ahead of detailed investment modelling. A model built before you know which costs and restrictions apply can give false precision, and those details may vary by property and jurisdiction. Shortlist the communities, compare like-for-like completed and advertised prices, ask lenders for comparable mortgage figures, and only then run scenarios. Cross-market reading is useful for methods, but not for importing cost assumptions into Abu Dhabi.
 
Back
Top