Hello from Zurich — learning the condo market

TidyJournal

Mortgage adviser
Hello from Zurich. I’m a mortgage adviser, and much of my property reading at the moment is about condos: transaction costs, mortgage comparisons, and the gap between advertised and completed prices.

I’ve joined to compare how different markets approach those questions rather than staying in one local bubble. For someone starting with Switzerland, would you read the local board first, follow a particular market dataset, or begin with recent first-purchase discussions?
 
The recent purchase discussions I have seen are useful on transaction costs, but they leave the local-versus-cross-market question less tidy. I would begin on the Zurich board and trace a few completed purchase threads before choosing a dataset.

Changing a spreadsheet assumption later is easy; overlooking an irreversible legal or building issue is not. A renovation that appears modest in an investment model, for example, can look quite different once shared-building responsibilities and ongoing management costs are understood. After that groundwork, comparing how markets measure completed prices should be more meaningful.
 
Are you mainly examining condos for owner-occupiers, investment modelling, or both? That distinction would help people point you toward relevant discussions. It may also be worth saying how narrowly you define “Zurich,” since a broad Swiss comparison and a local transaction comparison could answer very different questions.
 
I’d be cautious about starting with cross-market price comparisons. Completed-price data can look authoritative while hiding differences in coverage, property condition and what is included in the transaction figure. Legal checklists and financing conventions also do not transfer neatly between jurisdictions. Comparing methods is useful; comparing headline numbers without aligned definitions is much less so.
 
A practical route would be: read a few recent first-purchase threads, list the transaction-cost items members repeatedly raise, then compare advertised and completed prices only for closely similar condos. After that, add renovation and management assumptions. That should also reveal which missing Swiss data would be most useful to ask the local board about.
 
Back
Top