Helsinki detached rental at €547,400: does €3,262 rent justify the risk?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’d like this Helsinki rental to produce a dependable return, but the uncertain ownership costs make the headline yield hard to trust. The detached house has three bedrooms, costs €547,400 and is expected to rent for €3,262 a month. That is about 7.2% gross, and it has already spent 96 days on the market.

I have included empty periods, management charges, maintenance and a repair reserve. Tenant changes could also mean cleaning, minor works and another gap before rent resumes. Property tax is the figure I am least confident about. Are there other local costs I should add?

My decision rule is straightforward: if the realistic rent still leaves an acceptable net return after those deductions, I will investigate further; if it only works with continuous occupancy and low repairs, I will pass.
 
For a detached home, I would focus first on heating and energy responsibility. “Rent of €3,262” means something quite different if the owner pays those bills rather than the tenant. Ask for actual consumption and bills, not just an estimate. Snow clearance, garden work and other exterior upkeep also need an explicit allocation.
 
How was the €3,262 rent established—an existing tenancy, comparable listings, or an agent’s projection? That assumption matters more than fine-tuning the property-tax figure. I’d also want to know whether your vacancy allowance includes the cost of preparing the house between tenants, not merely the lost rent.
 
Insurance may be the quiet omission. Confirm what cover is realistically available for a rented detached home and put the actual quote into the model. I would also separate predictable annual maintenance from low-frequency building work; one broad reserve can conceal how exposed the deal is to a roof, heating system or exterior repair.
 
I wouldn’t choose a required net yield before establishing who pays every operating cost. Start with €39,144 annual gross rent, then deduct property tax, insurance, management, realistic vacancy, owner-paid utilities and maintenance. Only after that would I compare the result with the return available from less concentrated investments.
 
Financing needs a separate stress case too. A property can show an acceptable unlevered net yield and still have poor cash flow once interest and repayments are included. Run the same calculation at a higher financing cost and with one unplanned vacancy or repair occurring in the same year.
 
I’m less comfortable with the rent than the 7.2% headline suggests. A 3-bed detached house may attract tenants wanting stability, but each turnover can involve more cleaning, outdoor work and small repairs than an apartment. I’d ask how long the assumed tenant is likely to stay and model a slower re-letting case.
 
The 96 days alone wouldn’t make me reject it. It could reflect price, presentation, timing or a narrow buyer pool. It does give you a reason to investigate rather than accept the seller’s numbers. Is the property vacant now, and has the asking price changed during those 96 days?
 
On the maintenance reserve, use the age and remaining life of each major component rather than a flat percentage. The building may look sound while several items are approaching replacement together. A condition assessment plus records of completed work would make your “one larger repair” assumption much more credible.
 
One basic fact not mentioned: is the plot owned with the house, or is there a separate land-lease cost? Don’t assume the purchase price tells the whole story. I’d also verify exactly what the property-tax estimate covers and which party’s current figure you are using.
 
A useful break-even view: gross annual rent is €39,144. To retain a 5% net yield on €547,400, annual operating costs and vacancy could total no more than about €11,774. At a 4.5% net yield, the allowance rises to roughly €14,511. Put every quote into those two budgets and see how much contingency remains.
 
Aisha’s calculation is helpful, but remember that net yield and cash flow answer different questions. Mortgage principal reduces monthly cash while building equity, so I wouldn’t count it as an operating expense. Interest belongs in the financing case; the property-level net yield should remain comparable whether you borrow heavily or not.
 
Agreed on keeping the two views separate. I would still make the financing case harsh enough that it exposes the risk of depending on full rent every month. If the deal only works with €3,262 collected continuously and no major repair, the 96-day marketing period is not the main concern.
 
Before deciding, I’d request the property-tax amount, insurance quote, energy and water history, maintenance records, condition information, and confirmation of plot ownership or lease terms. Then get evidence supporting €3,262 rather than treating it as settled. Model normal, weak-rent and major-repair years. Any unexplained gap should reduce the offer, not the reserve.
 
My conclusion would depend on what survives that exercise. Around 5% net before financing could be interesting only if the rent is well supported and the building has no near-term capital needs. A lower result might still suit someone expecting appreciation, but that adds another uncertain assumption. At €547,400, I would not let the 7.2% gross figure drive the decision.
 
Back
Top