Helsinki retail unit: is 12% below €478,400 too aggressive?

FriendlyGate

Buyer
Established
I am torn between making a serious 12% reduction immediately and starting closer to the seller’s €478,400 figure to keep the conversation open. The Helsinki property has been listed for 116 days, requires updating and is described as a three-bed retail unit, which is another point I need to clarify.

My proposed opening figure is €420,992. Financing is in place, and I can offer some flexibility on completion. There are comparable properties advertised nearby, but too little completed-sale evidence for me to treat those asking figures as proof of value. I would therefore explain the offer through the long marketing period, the condition and the uncertainty in the sales evidence, not through a catalogue of cosmetic complaints.

Would you submit that figure with a reasonable response deadline, or first ask what matters to the seller besides price? I intend to retain inspection, financing and appraisal protection. My other concern is whether requesting repair credits at the same time would look like counting the condition twice; perhaps those should be reserved for material defects found later.
 
The number is less important than making the offer credible: include proof of financing, a short explanation of the updating allowance, and a clear but reasonable response deadline. Don’t ask for both a large discount and vague future repair credits; reserve credits for significant inspection findings.

One major question: is it legally a retail unit despite being described as three-bed? That could affect financing and valuation, so clarify it before weakening any contingencies. Also ask the agent what matters to the seller besides price. Flexibility on completion may narrow the gap.
 
Back
Top