Helsinki townhouse: raise rent or prioritise a reliable tenant?

DailyCairn

Homeowner
I’m trying to approach this commercially without being unreasonable. For my two-bedroom Helsinki townhouse, comparable asking rent appears to be around €8,272 for the relevant rental period, versus the tenant’s current €7,486. They pay reliably and take good care of the home.

Would you pursue a modest increase, leave it unchanged, or aim closer to market? I’m particularly interested in how others weigh vacancy and refurbishment costs, maintenance history and tenant retention while following Finland’s notice and rent-review rules.
 
I would not chase the entire €786 gap solely from asking prices. First compare genuinely similar townhouses and estimate what one vacant period, advertising and any work between tenants would cost. A reliable tenant who looks after the property already reduces risk. Then read the rent-review wording in your agreement and confirm the applicable Finnish notice requirements before suggesting a smaller, clearly explained adjustment.
 
One missing detail: what period do those figures cover, and do both rents include the same utilities, parking, furnishings or other items? Without that, the comparison may be misleading. Also, €786 is roughly a 10.5% increase on the current figure, which I would not automatically describe as modest. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, especially if the comparable homes differ in condition or location.
 
I’d turn this into a short written proposal rather than opening with “the market says €8,272.” Note the tenant’s good payment and maintenance history, show the like-for-like comparables, state the proposed amount and effective date, and invite discussion. Before sending it, verify that both the lease and local rules support the process you intend to use.

If the tenant declines, recalculate the vacancy and refurbishment scenario before deciding whether turnover is worthwhile. Should the tenancy eventually end, keep inspection, damage assessment and deposit handling separate from the rent negotiation and follow the applicable Finnish requirements.
 
Back
Top