High association dues on a Delhi apartment: buy or keep renting?

plan.warm

Tenant planning to buy
I’m comparing my current rental with a similar Delhi apartment priced around ₹98,530,000. The mortgage, tax, maintenance and association dues would put ownership well above my rent, although part of the mortgage payment would build equity. I may also move within five to seven years.

How would you account for transaction costs, resale liquidity and the possibility of rising building fees? I’m particularly unsure whether the association has adequate reserves or whether owners could face heavier costs later.
 
With a possible move in five to seven years, I’d lean toward renting unless the purchase has a strong advantage beyond equity. Equity is not the same as a return once financing, upkeep and buying and selling costs are included. Before deciding, ask for the fee breakdown, reserve position, insurance arrangements and any planned major works. High dues backed by healthy reserves are different from high dues that still leave large repairs unfunded.
 
I wouldn’t reject it solely because the dues look high. A maintenance-intensive building may legitimately cost more, and efficient energy use or properly funded shared areas could offset some expenses. The missing fact is your fallback if you move: would you sell, or keep it as a rental?

Model both. For a sale, use a conservative resale timeline and price. For renting it out, compare likely tenant demand with dues, vacancy risk and management workload. If neither fallback looks comfortable, flexibility has real value.
 
Back
Top