Hong Kong country home at 3.3% gross yield — does the rental case work?

XaviReed

Property investor
Established
The rental case is being presented on the basis of HK$23,590 a month, but I hesitate because there is so little margin for error. The property is a 3-bed country home priced at HK$8,463,000, so the headline yield is only about 3.3%.

A higher financing cost could hurt immediately, while an optimistic rent or vacancy assumption would weaken the income over time. I have allowed for management, routine upkeep, empty periods and major repairs, but I’m unsure whether those amounts reflect this particular location and property. Which documents or figures would you insist on seeing—an existing lease, comparable completed lettings, insurance costs, maintenance history or something else—before deciding whether the cash flow is credible?
 
The rent is HK$283,080 a year, so the gross-yield calculation is broadly right. The problem is that 3.3% leaves little room for ownership costs or expensive debt. I would focus less on choosing one target net yield and more on whether net cash flow stays positive after a vacancy period, turnover work and a financing-rate increase. If it only works with uninterrupted rent, I’d pass.
 
I’d question the HK$23,590 before refining the expense side. Is that rent supported by an existing tenancy or just an asking estimate? Also, does your vacancy allowance reflect how quickly this particular country-home location can attract another tenant? A slightly overstated rent could matter more than a missed insurance or maintenance item at this yield.
 
Agreed on verifying the rent, although I wouldn’t treat financing as secondary. I’d run three cases using the same confirmed rent: cash purchase, expected loan terms, and a higher-cost loan scenario. Then add one full tenant change plus a major repair to the stressed year. If that produces a cash shortfall you cannot comfortably carry, the 3.3% headline yield is not enough compensation regardless of the normal-year net figure.
 
Back
Top