Hong Kong duplex listings: flat movement, 43 days on market, but wide condition discounts

PracticalView

Homeowner
I’m deciding whether to wait for cleaner stock or start making condition-adjusted offers. The Hong Kong duplexes I’m tracking run from HK$3,526,000 to HK$5,288,000. My snapshot shows 0.0% movement and roughly 43 days on market, with more listings available but few I would actually buy.

The negotiated discount appears to change sharply with condition, so I suspect local supply and listing mix matter more than headline demand. Does that fit what others are seeing? Please name the neighbourhood and property type, and say whether you’re looking at completed sales or active listings.
 
I wouldn’t conclude that supply is driving the spread yet. Forty-three days for active listings can hide withdrawn and relisted stock, while 0.0% movement may simply reflect a changing mix. Compare recent completed sales with the same subtype and condition. A Sai Kung village-house duplex and a Kowloon apartment marketed as a duplex should not sit in one sample.
 
What does “duplex” include in your search: two-level conventional flats, village-house units, or anything carrying that label? Also, how tight are your neighbourhood boundaries? Until those are fixed, the HK$3,526,000–HK$5,288,000 range may represent several different markets rather than a meaningful price band.
 
I’d track each listing by first-seen date, price-cut dates, withdrawal date and any apparent relisting. Then add condition notes from the photos or viewing: ready to occupy, cosmetic work, or substantial uncertainty. That would show whether the discount is really about condition or merely about sellers who started too high.
 
There’s another possibility: the better stock may transact while the compromised stock accumulates. In that case, more listings and 43 days on market do not necessarily mean buyers have broader negotiating power. The pool has simply become less attractive. Completed sales are needed to distinguish that from genuine supply pressure.
 
For Tai Po, I would at least separate village-house duplexes from conventional estate flats, then narrow further by the exact locality. District-level comparisons are too broad when access, layout and condition differ. I’d also avoid treating an advertised reduction as the final negotiated discount.
 
Condition needs more detail too. An outdated kitchen is something a buyer can price with a renovation allowance; signs of unresolved defects or unclear alterations create a different kind of risk. Are your largest discounts attached to visibly tired interiors, or to properties where the buyer cannot confidently estimate the work?
 
Seller motivation may explain part of the spread, but price cuts alone are a weak signal. A reduction shortly after listing can be a deliberate reset, while repeated small cuts may leave an unrealistic price unchanged in substance. Compare days to first cut and days from the latest cut, not just total time online.
 
Neighbourhood labels can distort this quickly. For a Tsuen Wan flat, I’d compare the exact estate or building rather than every listing carrying the district name. Even without adding statistics, a table of genuinely comparable homes should tell you whether the apparent flat 0.0% movement survives once location and condition are controlled.
 
These replies exposed a weakness in my snapshot. I pooled listings carrying the duplex label and used advertised price histories; I did not separate village-house units, conventional flats, withdrawals or probable relistings. So the 0.0% figure is better treated as an asking-price observation, not evidence about completed deals. I’m going to rebuild the list by subtype and tighter area.
 
That clarification changes the answer. You cannot reliably infer a negotiated discount from asking histories alone. Start with a small matched set: same subtype, close location, similar usable layout and broadly similar condition. Keep completed sales separate from active, withdrawn and relisted properties. If the sample becomes tiny, that itself is more honest than a precise-looking blended figure.
 
Also record whether a property is likely to be straightforward for the buyer’s financing. Two homes with similar asking prices can face very different buyer pools if one raises valuation, condition or documentation questions. The exact effect depends on the property and lender, but it could make a seller appear unusually flexible without indicating weakness across the neighbourhood.
 
Is HK$5,288,000 a hard purchase ceiling or just the top of the observed listings? That matters to the strategy. If it is a hard ceiling before repair costs, the supposedly discounted property near the top may be less affordable than a cleaner home with a firmer seller.
 
Good question. Until that is clear, I’d compare total commitment rather than headline discount: agreed price, likely work and a sensible uncertainty buffer. A large reduction on a property with difficult-to-estimate work is not automatically better value. Conversely, cosmetic condition can create room to negotiate without changing the basic suitability of the home.
 
One final timing measure would help: separate days to first meaningful price cut from days between that cut and a completed agreement. Total days on market blends seller expectation with buyer response. With your revised categories, that split should show whether certain duplex types are genuinely clearing slowly or simply spending weeks at an unrealistic opening price.
 
Back
Top