How far below £1.08m should I open on this London mixed-use property?

MaraSage

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a mixed-use building in London listed at £1,080,000. It includes a one-bed home, needs updating and has been on the market for 9 days. Nearby asking prices look similar, but I cannot find enough completed sales to establish the likely clearing price.

My proposed opening is £950,400, exactly 12% below asking, backed by clean financing and flexibility on completion. Is that sensible or needlessly aggressive this early? I’d also appreciate thoughts on presenting the rationale politely, setting a response deadline, and which inspection, financing or valuation protections should remain non-negotiable.
 
The number itself is not insulting if it is presented as a considered offer rather than a verdict on the property. Give the agent proof that funds or financing are in place, mention your completion flexibility, and explain that the price reflects updating costs plus limited completed-sale evidence. Avoid a long list of alleged defects before you have a survey.
 
What exactly is mixed-use here: one title containing the flat and commercial space, or some other arrangement? Also, is either part occupied? Those details could matter more to financing and valuation than the percentage below asking. I would establish that your intended lender is comfortable with the property before describing the financing as clean.
 
I think 12% is probably too aggressive after only 9 days unless the seller already knows there is a significant issue or has a reason to move quickly. They may simply wait for more viewings. You can still offer it, but decide in advance whether you would promptly increase or genuinely walk away; otherwise the opening looks tactical rather than evidence-based.
 
Do not waive inspection protection just to make the low price more attractive. A mixed-use building needing updates has too many possible unknowns. I would also retain a financing condition if your lender has not fully considered this specific property, rather than relying on a general agreement in principle. Flexibility on completion is useful because it helps the seller without transferring building risk to you.
 
Bruno’s financing point is important. Proof of available deposit and a lender’s general willingness to lend are not the same as approval for this building. The offer could say that you are ready to proceed promptly, while remaining subject to satisfactory survey, legal work and lender valuation. That is cleaner than claiming certainty you cannot yet provide.
 
Agreed, and I would not volunteer a larger deposit as compensation for keeping those protections. Deposit size can sound reassuring, but it also increases the buyer’s exposure if the contract later puts that money at risk. Have the solicitor explain the relevant terms before exchange rather than allowing the negotiating stage to create an unnecessary commitment.
 
On repairs, I would not ask for both a 12% reduction now and vague future credits. Offer based on what is currently visible, then reserve the right to revisit the price only if the survey identifies material work that was not reasonably apparent. In a UK transaction, a straightforward price renegotiation may also be easier to understand than loosely framed “repair credits.”
 
Work out the valuation-gap scenario before offering. If the seller accepts £950,400 but the lender values it lower, can you add cash without compromising funds reserved for updates, or would you need to renegotiate? That answer determines whether valuation protection is essential. The same exercise should include fees and any deposit exposure, not merely the headline purchase price.
 
I would send a short written offer with four elements: £950,400; evidence of financial readiness; flexibility on completion; and the usual survey, legal and lender-valuation conditions. Add a reasonable response deadline, but frame it as planning your search rather than pressuring the seller. Then ask the agent whether price, timing or certainty matters most to the seller. Their answer may tell you whether moving upward would achieve anything.
 
Back
Top