How far should I raise rent for a reliable Atlanta duplex tenant?

ada_lowe

Property investor
After 27 days of weighing this, I still cannot decide what is reasonable. Asking rent for comparable Atlanta properties appears to be around $1,870, while my duplex tenant pays about $1,675. They pay reliably and take good care of the home.

The full $195 increase may be defensible on paper, but vacancy, refurbishment and finding another dependable tenant could erase it quickly. Would you offer a smaller increase at renewal, leave the rent alone, or move toward market level? I also want to follow the applicable local notice rules and avoid damaging a good relationship.
 
I would choose a smaller increase. One vacant month at the current rent would consume roughly eight and a half months of the extra $195, before cleaning, repairs or leasing costs. Asking rent also is not necessarily achieved rent.

Confirm the lease and notice requirements first, then explain the adjustment early and plainly. Reliability and good upkeep have real economic value.
 
How close are the comparables? Same part of Atlanta, similar side of a duplex, condition, parking and included utilities? I would not anchor on $1,870 unless those details line up.

Also, is this a fixed-term renewal or a month-to-month tenancy? That affects both the conversation and whatever notice is required. Check the current Georgia and Atlanta rules for the actual tenancy rather than relying on a general landlord article.
 
I agree that retention matters, but I would not automatically discount the rent simply because the tenant is pleasant and dependable. If maintenance, insurance or other property costs have risen, keeping rent substantially below comparable homes can create a harder adjustment later. A staged increase can preserve the relationship without freezing the current gap indefinitely.
 
One more factor: look at the tenant's maintenance history, not only payment timing. Prompt reporting of leaks or other problems can prevent expensive damage in a duplex. That may justify accepting less than the highest possible rent. Conversely, unresolved maintenance should be handled before presenting the increase as a market adjustment.
 
There is another downside to testing the top of the market: if the tenant leaves, the deposit cannot simply be treated as a turnover fund. Its handling and any deductions need to follow the lease and applicable rules, with the property's condition properly recorded. Budget vacancy, cleaning and refurbishment separately when comparing retention with reletting.
 
Zara's question about the comparables is the key missing piece. I would make a short table of genuinely similar available units, note how long they remain advertised, and separate asking prices from any confirmed outcomes you can legitimately obtain. If $1,870 is only the optimistic end, there may be little reason to chase it.

Then put three scenarios beside it: no increase, a modest increase, and the full $195. Include even a brief vacancy period and expected work between tenants.
 
Practically, I would settle on a modest figure, verify the required notice and deliver it in writing well before renewal. Keep the explanation short: current rent, new rent, effective date and appreciation for the tenant's record. You could also state that future rent will be reviewed periodically, which is better than allowing a large gap to build and then trying to correct it all at once.
 
Back
Top