How far should I raise rent for a reliable Cape Town tenant?

handy_page

Property investor
Established
There is a sizeable rent gap here, but losing a dependable tenant is my main concern. Comparable Cape Town townhouses are advertised near ZAR 59,050, while this tenant pays roughly ZAR 52,720 and has looked after the property well.

Before proposing anything, I plan to check actual comparable rents, the maintenance history, the lease provisions and how the deposit would be handled if the tenant left. If the evidence supports only a small adjustment, I would raise it gradually. If the market gap is genuine and persistent, I might agree a larger increase in stages rather than demand the full asking level at once.

How would you open that conversation fairly, subject to the required notice and the current lease?
 
The advertised figure is roughly 12% above the current rent, but an asking rent is not necessarily what a new tenant will pay. I would compare genuinely similar townhouses, then put a value on keeping this tenant. Even one vacant month would absorb a substantial part of the extra annual rent. A smaller adjustment, explained early and clearly, sounds more rational than chasing ZAR 59,050.
 
When does the current lease end, and does it contain a rent-escalation or notice clause? Those details matter before choosing the amount or timing. South African requirements can also depend on the lease and circumstances, so I would confirm the applicable Cape Town rules rather than rely on a general forum answer.
 
I would not automatically discount the rent just because the tenant is reliable. Paying on time and caring for the property are expected parts of the arrangement, while maintenance and ownership costs may have risen. If the comparable listings truly match in size, condition, parking and area, staying far below them indefinitely may create a harder correction later.
 
That is fair, but there is a middle route: propose an increase below the full gap and explain how it was reached. Give the tenant room to respond rather than presenting ZAR 59,050 as an ultimatum. You could also agree to revisit the rent at the next renewal, which avoids one sharp jump while making clear that the present discount is not permanent.
 
Before deciding, write down the turnover scenario in rand: likely vacancy time, advertising or placement costs, cleaning, repairs between occupancies and the uncertainty of the next tenant’s payment history. Also separate genuine refurbishment from work that would have been needed anyway. That comparison should make the retention value much clearer than advertised rents alone.
 
Remember the administrative side if the tenant does leave. Record the condition carefully, deal with any inspection and deposit process under the applicable lease and local requirements, and avoid treating ordinary wear as damage. A clean exit can still become expensive or contentious if those steps are rushed. First, though, I’d send a courteous review proposal tied to the lease timetable and invite a conversation.
 
Back
Top