How far should I raise rent on a Cape Town studio with a reliable tenant?

I own a Cape Town studio valued at about ZAR 23,750,000. Comparable asking rent appears to be around ZAR 88,130, while the current tenant pays roughly ZAR 70,070. They pay on time, care for the property and report maintenance issues early.

I’m considering a modest increase rather than chasing the full asking figure and risking vacancy, refurbishment and turnover costs. How would others structure a fair discussion while following the lease and local notice requirements?
 
I would put a price on retention before choosing the increase. Estimate the rent lost during a realistic vacancy, plus advertising, cleaning, repairs and administration. Then compare that with the extra annual income from moving toward ZAR 88,130. A staged increase may leave both sides better off. First read the rent-review and notice clauses in the current lease; the timing and wording should follow those rather than an informal conversation alone.
 
There are two obvious choices: move straight toward ZAR 88,130 and risk losing a good tenant, or keep the rent near ZAR 70,070 and leave a substantial gap. Neither is especially comfortable.

Before deciding, check whether those advertised studios match yours on condition, furnishing, parking, services and lease terms, and whether any have actually secured tenants. The tenant’s payment and maintenance record supports a measured or staged increase, not necessarily no increase at all. Follow the lease and Cape Town notice requirements, put any agreement in writing, and be ready to handle the inspection and deposit correctly if the tenant decides to leave.
 
Back
Top