How much appraisal-gap risk would you accept near €1,196,000?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
The seller wants an offer near €1,196,000, and competition may push bids above the best completed comparables. We can absorb a modest valuation shortfall, but not an open-ended one. Would you promise to cover an appraisal gap only up to €6,900, retain a full valuation condition, or reduce the headline offer? I’m trying not to win the property and then create a financing problem. Inspection protection and deposit exposure also matter.
 
I’d cap the gap at €6,900 rather than waive the valuation condition. Pair that with clear financing proof so the seller can see the cap reflects available cash, not uncertainty about obtaining a mortgage. Before deciding, though: how firm is the response deadline, and do you know whether the seller values price above certainty or timing?
 
I’m not convinced the €6,900 promise helps enough to justify the extra exposure. If competing offers are already beyond completed comparables, I would keep the full valuation protection and make the strongest headline offer the financing can comfortably support. A high number with a small gap cap may still look weaker than a slightly lower, cleaner offer.
 
One addition: don’t trade away inspection protection just to make the valuation wording more attractive. Ask whether the seller would consider repair credits after inspection, and have the deposit consequences of any financing or valuation failure explained under the local jurisdiction before signing. That detail would change my choice more than guessing what rival bidders might do.
 
Back
Top