How much appraisal-gap risk would you accept on a first Dubai purchase?

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
The seller wants something close to AED 1,963,000, and I am hesitant to compete on price when the completed sales I have seen do not clearly support it. We could cover some difference between the agreed price and the valuation, but the commitment needs a firm ceiling.

Would AED 165,200 be too much to pledge toward that gap, or would it be better to keep a full valuation condition and submit a lower offer? Our financing proof must still work at the final price, and I do not want an accepted bid to become a cash problem.

This would be our first UAE purchase, in Dubai. I want to retain inspection protection, understand when the deposit could be at risk, and know whether a repair credit would affect the lender’s figures. It would also help to separate Dubai contractual or notice requirements from choices that are simply about our appetite for risk before the response deadline.
 
I would keep the valuation condition unless AED 165,200 is genuinely available in cash after the deposit, purchase costs and a repair reserve. A gap promise should state a fixed maximum and what happens if the valuation falls even further. Otherwise the attractive headline offer can become an obligation you cannot finance.
 
What loan-to-value has the bank indicated, and is the financing proof based on this specific price or only a general approval amount? Those details matter more than the label “appraisal gap.” Also ask why the seller values price over certainty: a cleaner offer with a lower number may appeal if their response deadline is tight.
 
That helps. I was treating AED 165,200 as the maximum extra cash, but I had not separated it from transaction costs, inspection findings and reserves. I will not present the whole amount as available until the lender explains how a low valuation changes the financing. I also need the contract wording checked so I understand exactly when the deposit could be at risk.
 
I would not automatically lower the offer. If the completed comparables are genuinely close and the property has features they lack, a capped gap could make the bid clearer without becoming open-ended. But the cap should reflect your actual spare cash, not the largest number that sounds competitive.
 
One separate point: do not let repair credits substitute for inspection protection. A valuation and an inspection answer different questions. If defects appear, any credit or price adjustment may also affect the amount the lender is willing to finance, so those moving parts should be considered together.
 
I disagree slightly with keeping a full valuation condition as the default. If competing offers are stronger, that may simply move this bid to the bottom. A smaller fixed gap—well below AED 165,200—could be the compromise, provided the financing evidence supports the headline offer. Ask the agent whether the seller is prioritising the highest figure, a fast response or confidence that the buyer will complete.
 
Before submitting, put three numbers on one page: the offer price, the lowest plausible bank valuation you can tolerate, and the cash still needed after all other known costs. Then have a UAE-qualified conveyancing professional confirm how the valuation, financing, inspection and deposit clauses interact in this particular contract. The legal effect depends on the wording; choosing how much cash to risk is still personal.
 
Back
Top