How much appraisal-gap risk would you accept on a first offer?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
After sitting with this for a couple of days, I’m still torn. The seller wants an offer near QAR 4,696,000, while competing bids may be above the best completed comparables. We could cover a modest valuation shortfall, but not an open-ended one.

Would you cap an appraisal-gap promise at QAR 81,900, retain a full valuation condition, or reduce the headline offer? I don’t want to win and then create a financing problem. I also want to preserve inspection protection and understand the possible deposit exposure. The response deadline and seller motivation may matter, but neither is clear yet. If your market differs from Qatar, please mention what would change the answer.
 
I’d keep the valuation condition unless your financing proof and available cash clearly support the QAR 81,900 cap in addition to the deposit, fees and any repairs. A capped gap is much safer than an unlimited promise, but only if the wording makes the maximum unambiguous. Before deciding, ask how firm the deadline is and whether the seller values certainty over the highest headline number.
 
I’d push back slightly: lowering the offer may weaken it without actually solving the appraisal issue, because the valuation could still come in lower. The better choice is between a full condition and a precisely capped gap.

Also, don’t trade away inspection protection just to strengthen the financing terms. If defects appear, repair credits could change the cash needed at completion. Have the Qatar-specific contract wording and deposit consequences checked before signing; assumptions from other markets may not carry over.
 
Back
Top