How much cash did you really need after closing near Delhi?

pebble.grounded

First-time buyer
After the deposit and estimated closing costs, we should have about ₹835,000 left for moving, furniture and surprises. It’s a maintained new-build flat near Delhi, though I know an inspection cannot rule out every first-year expense.

Would you proceed if the mortgage payment is comfortable, or delay to build a larger reserve? I’m particularly unsure how to divide the cash between an emergency fund, service charges, insurance excess, the first mortgage payment and basic furnishing. I’d also appreciate a distinction between legal requirements in India and personal risk tolerance.
 
₹835,000 sounds potentially workable, but only after ring-fencing the first mortgage payment and several months of essential household spending. Then list moving costs, service charges due at possession, insurance-related out-of-pocket costs and anything identified at inspection. Furnish only the essentials initially. The amount itself matters less than what remains after those known items.
 
Have you received a written possession-day breakdown from the developer or seller? “Closing costs” can mean different things, and service charges or utility setup may sit outside that estimate. Also, will your emergency fund need to cover one income or two? Those missing facts would change my answer more than the flat being new-build.
 
Good questions. The ₹835,000 is what remains after the deposit and the closing-cost estimate, but I have not yet separated possession-related service charges, moving or utility setup. I’ll request an itemised figure and keep furniture to essentials until after the first mortgage payment. We also need to decide on a minimum emergency fund rather than treating the entire balance as available spending money.
 
I’d be slightly more cautious than naomi. A comfortable monthly payment does not guarantee a comfortable first year, especially if inspection findings, delayed snagging work or an income interruption arrive together. I wouldn’t delay automatically, but I would proceed only if the itemised possession costs leave an emergency reserve you are unwilling to spend on furniture. For what is legally payable in your specific Delhi-area transaction, confirm with the relevant local professionals rather than relying on a general forum list.
 
Back
Top