How much cash should remain after buying a Bengaluru country home?

FieldBrick

Homeowner
I’m considering a 5-bed country home around ₹60,960,000 in Bengaluru. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have roughly ₹2,338,000 left.

That still has to cover moving, any immediate inspection findings, furniture and the ordinary surprises of the first year. I also don’t want to accidentally spend the emergency fund on making five bedrooms look finished.

How would you divide that remaining cash? I’d rather buy below my maximum than turn every small repair into a financial emergency. Yesterday I was excited; today every compromise feels enormous.
 
I wouldn’t divide it by percentages yet. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your actual household spending, including the mortgage. Then list moving costs and only the repairs required for safety or to prevent deterioration. Furniture comes last.

Does the ₹2,338,000 already allow for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service charges?
 
That’s the part I haven’t modelled clearly enough. I treated the amount as “cash left after closing” rather than assigning every first-month outgoing to it. The inspection findings are also still an unknown. I think I need separate columns for unavoidable costs, possible repairs and things that can simply wait.
 
Exactly. I’d use four pots: untouchable emergency savings, known move-in bills, an inspection contingency, and optional furnishing. Don’t let the last pot borrow from the first three.

Also model a bad but plausible month: mortgage payment, normal living costs and one repair landing together. If that feels uncomfortable, the purchase price is probably too close to your limit.
 
I’m less reassured than Marco. ₹2,338,000 sounds substantial in isolation, but the home is 5-bed and costs ₹60,960,000, so repairs could arrive in large chunks rather than tidy monthly amounts. I would wait for the inspection before deciding the buffer is adequate. Several ordinary findings together can matter more than one dramatic defect.
 
Furniture is the easiest place to regain control. Make only the rooms you will use immediately functional; empty bedrooms are not an emergency. Existing furniture, basic replacements and delayed purchases can bridge the first year.

The harder question is whether inspection work must happen before moving in or can be scheduled from future income. Ask for that distinction when discussing the findings.
 
One caveat on the budget categories: confirm whether this particular property has any recurring service charges rather than assuming a country home has none. Check what the insurance excess would mean in cash, too. Neither belongs in the furniture allowance.

I’d also keep the first mortgage payment visible as its own line, even if you expect salary income before it falls due.
 
Before making an offer at the maximum, put dates beside every expected payment. A cash-flow calendar can expose a problem that a single “money left” figure hides.

I’d list closing, moving, first mortgage payment, insurance, any service charges, urgent inspection items and essential furniture. Then run it again with the move costing more and one repair happening early. If the emergency fund survives both versions, the decision will feel less abstract.
 
And don’t count the same rupees twice. A repair contingency is not an emergency fund if you already expect to spend it on inspection items. Keep those separate, leave nonessential rooms unfinished, and revisit the purchase price once the inspection gives you something concrete. The anxiety may be useful here—it is pushing you to test the downside before committing.
 
Back
Top