How much cash should remain after buying a serviced apartment in São Paulo?

DeepWall

First-time buyer
Established
If I underestimate the cash needed after completion, an ordinary repair could force me to use money meant for the mortgage or an emergency.

The property is a one-bedroom serviced apartment in São Paulo priced at about R$7,112,000. My current estimate leaves R$162,400 once the deposit and closing expenses have been paid. That remainder would need to cover the move, the first payment, emergency savings, any insurance excess and urgent work identified by the inspection. For example, I could delay buying a sofa, but not fixing a water or electrical problem inside the unit.

Before deciding how far below my maximum purchase budget to stay, what payment dates and building responsibilities should I verify? I also need to know what the service charge covers and whether planned shared work could create another demand for cash.
 
I would first separate the money that must remain untouched: the first mortgage payment plus a general emergency fund. Then price the move, insurance excess and only genuinely urgent inspection items. Before allocating anything to repairs, what do the service charges cover, and is there a reserve or planned building work? With a serviced apartment, some items you are worried about may sit with the building rather than your individual unit.
 
I’d be cautious about dividing R$162,400 into neat categories before the inspection and contract details are available. A clean inspection could make it adequate; one expensive unit-specific issue could change that quickly. Also confirm when service charges, insurance and mortgage payments actually fall due, because timing matters as much as the total. Get repair and moving estimates first, postpone nonessential furniture, and reduce the purchase ceiling if the remaining emergency fund feels too thin.
 
Back
Top