How much cash should remain after closing on a Dublin new-build?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I have now added up the deposit and my expected closing expenses, which raises a harder question. Buying the 3-bed Dublin new-build at roughly €1,007,000 would leave me with only about €10,120.

That remainder must cover the move, the first mortgage payment and any urgent inspection findings before I even think about furnishing the flat. I am also not sure whether every service-charge payment due around handover is already included in my estimate. Once the insurance excess and normal monthly spending are considered, the headline purchase price may not be the main risk.

Would you protect nearly all of the €10,120 as a reserve, or allocate fixed amounts for essential setup and immediate work? I am trying to work out whether the safer answer is simply a cheaper property.
 
At that purchase price, €10,120 sounds uncomfortably tight unless your income can rebuild it quickly. I would protect the emergency portion first, reserve known moving and first-payment costs second, and buy only essential furniture initially. Inspection items that affect safety or prevent damage come before cosmetic work. Also confirm whether your closing estimate includes every service-charge payment due around handover.
 
The missing fact is your monthly essential spending after the mortgage starts. A cash buffer is better measured in months than as a percentage of the property price. Does the €10,120 also need to cover appliances, window coverings or any delay between closing and moving in? Those ordinary setup items can blur the line between “furniture” and unavoidable costs.
 
I would not assume every inspection finding needs cash immediately. With a new build, first separate items that should be raised with the builder from improvements you simply want, while recognising that responsibility and process depend on the purchase terms.

Before deciding, make a dated cash-flow list from closing through the first few months: mortgage payment, service charge, insurance, movers and essential setup. Add the applicable insurance excess as a contingency rather than planned spending. If that leaves no meaningful emergency reserve, buying below the maximum seems the more robust choice.
 
Back
Top