The first renovation estimate has come in at £226,800, which raises a more important question than the choice of finishes: how much of the scope is still unknown? The property is an older, 2,640 sq ft detached home in Birmingham with a £1,127,000 asking price.
The allowance covers new kitchen and bathroom work, replacement floor finishes, decorating, an electrical review and some energy-efficiency improvements. I am not planning an extension. Even so, one concealed wiring or moisture issue could disrupt several trades and the programme.
What level of contingency would you keep outside the quoted sum? I also want the surveyor and contractors to identify inaccessible areas, electrical remedial work, material lead times, access constraints and every exclusion, including making good and waste removal. Those points seem more likely to alter the outcome than upgrading the specification.
The allowance covers new kitchen and bathroom work, replacement floor finishes, decorating, an electrical review and some energy-efficiency improvements. I am not planning an extension. Even so, one concealed wiring or moisture issue could disrupt several trades and the programme.
What level of contingency would you keep outside the quoted sum? I also want the surveyor and contractors to identify inaccessible areas, electrical remedial work, material lead times, access constraints and every exclusion, including making good and waste removal. Those points seem more likely to alter the outcome than upgrading the specification.