How much negotiating leverage does 34 days give São Paulo apartment buyers?

lila_tools

Property investor
The São Paulo apartment market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow. In the R$1,075,000–R$1,613,000 range, I’m seeing roughly 34 days on market, but renovated places move quickly while units needing work sit, take cuts or disappear.

I’m trying to decide whether 34 days is enough to justify an assertive first offer, or whether it is better to wait for a price reduction. Vacancy also seems important: a vacant unit and one with an unclear occupancy timeline attract very different reactions. Has anyone tracked recent completed sales against the full public asking-price history, including withdrawn and relisted stock?
 
I wouldn’t treat 34 days by itself as strong leverage. A new-looking listing may already have been marketed, withdrawn and relisted, while a genuinely fresh renovated unit could still have competing interest. I’d negotiate earlier when condition is poor or possession is uncertain, but base the offer on the work required and comparable completed sales rather than days online alone.
 
Which neighbourhoods are you grouping together? At that price level, crossing even a neighbourhood boundary—or comparing different parts of the same broad area—can distort the picture. Building condition matters too, not just the apartment renovation. I’d separate the listings into renovated, habitable but dated, and major-work categories before deciding whether 34 days means anything.
 
There’s also a difference between a price cut that reflects seller motivation and one that merely corrects an ambitious launch price. I disagree that waiting is usually helpful: if the apartment fits and the defects are measurable, an early supported offer can test the seller without losing the unit. Ask why they are selling and whether vacancy has a definite date.
 
Buyer financing may explain part of the split. Two offers at the same headline amount are not necessarily equally attractive if one has more uncertainty or a longer path to completion. Before assuming a stale listing means a large discount, find out what terms the seller values. Price, timing, vacancy and certainty can all be negotiated separately.
 
To compare completed sales properly, keep a simple record for each plausible comparable: first asking price you observed, later cuts, any withdrawal or relisting, condition, exact micro-location and whether it appeared occupied. Otherwise the final difference from the latest public asking price can look small even after a much larger adjustment from the original expectation.
 
I’d also count new-listing volume alongside withdrawals. If attractive renovated apartments are being replaced quickly, buyers still have alternatives even when individual units sell fast. If the visible supply is mostly the same dated stock cycling through price cuts, the apparent choice is misleading. That distinction would affect whether I offered now or waited.
 
Back
Top