How much negotiating room after 100 days in Osaka?

asha.chase

Buyer
Established
One view is that 100 days gives a buyer leverage; the other is that it means little when comparable Osaka villas take just as long to move. I am looking at one asking ¥197,400,000, with seemingly similar properties spread from ¥157,900,000 to ¥236,800,000. The market does not look uniformly slow, and vacancy status appears to affect buyer interest.

Before treating the listing age as negotiating evidence, I want to know whether the property has been continuously available, relisted or reduced, and when any cut occurred. I would also like to compare its condition and buyer-financing appeal with actual transactions rather than public asking figures. Are there completed-sale details or listing-history clues that would help distinguish a patient seller from one becoming more flexible?
 
I wouldn’t treat 100 days alone as evidence that the seller will discount. First establish whether it was continuously available, relisted, or already reduced. A stale listing with no cuts may indicate a seller willing to wait, while a recent cut can signal either motivation or a firm new floor. Condition and vacancy are probably more useful than the raw day count.
 
How tightly are you defining “similar”? In Osaka, crossing even a neighbourhood boundary can change the buyer pool, and villas can differ substantially in land, access and condition. I’d also want to know whether new-listing volume has risen during those 100 days. More competing listings give your offer a stronger basis than time alone.
 
I partly disagree with putting too much weight on nearby completed sales. They help, but a renovated vacant property and an occupied one needing work are not interchangeable even at similar asking prices. Buyer financing can also affect which offer the seller accepts. The best price may not win if another buyer presents fewer uncertainties or a cleaner timeline.
 
That’s fair, but completed examples are still useful if Omar separates the differences rather than treating them as direct matches. I’d make a small table of active, withdrawn and known completed properties, noting condition, vacancy, original ask, cuts and days available. Withdrawn listings should stay in their own category—they may have sold elsewhere, been rented, or simply been taken off.
 
The phrase “clear vacancy status” may be doing a lot of work here. Is this villa definitely vacant now, owner-occupied, or subject to some unresolved move-out timing? Buyers may negotiate differently when they know when possession is possible. I’d ask that before interpreting the 100 days, along with whether any prior offers failed because of price, financing or timing.
 
For the next step, ask the selling side for the reasoning behind ¥197,400,000 and request the closest completed examples they are relying on. Then compare those with repair estimates and current competing listings inside the same neighbourhood boundary. Make an offer supported by those specific differences, not just “100 days means discount.” Keep price and terms separate: financing readiness, timing and property condition may reveal flexibility even if the seller resists a large headline reduction.
 
Back
Top