How much negotiating room does 84 days create in Montreal?

FriendlyLens

Property investor
Established
I’m deciding whether to bid below asking on a Montreal townhouse rather than wait for another listing. In the C$1,301,000–C$1,952,000 range, I’m seeing properties sit for about 84 days, but the market feels split rather than broadly slow. Homes with a clear insurance situation seem to move differently. Has anyone tracked recent completed sales where the final price diverged from the public asking history?
 
At 84 days, I’d negotiate, but I wouldn’t choose a discount from that number alone. The key missing facts are whether the seller has already cut the price and whether comparable townhouses actually sold. A stale original asking price can exaggerate the apparent bargain. Which neighbourhood boundaries and property condition are you using for the comparison?
 
I’d also be careful about treating days on market as continuous. Withdrawn and relisted stock can look newer than it is, while an older listing may simply have an unmotivated seller. New-listing volume matters too: if buyers have several credible alternatives, that creates more leverage than 84 days by itself. Insurance uncertainty could also affect financing, not just enthusiasm.
 
Before offering, build a small table of completed sales, price cuts, withdrawals and relistings within tightly drawn neighbourhood boundaries. Then separate renovated properties from those needing work and note whether insurance information was available. Ask the seller’s side about the closing timeline and offer conditions; motivation may show up there even if they will not move much on price.
 
Back
Top