How much of a £24,180 post-completion buffer should I keep untouched?

The £24,180 remainder initially sounded comfortable, until I started listing what must come out of it soon after completion. The property is a three-bedroom condo in Birmingham priced at about £390,000, and the inspection could add repairs to the move, first mortgage payment and initial service-charge costs.

I want to preserve a real emergency reserve and enough to meet the insurance excess, rather than commit the whole balance to furniture and routine work. Would you ring-fence the non-negotiable outgoings first and furnish gradually, or would this level of available cash lead you to reduce the purchase budget? I’m particularly interested in how inspection findings should change that decision.
 
I’d work backwards rather than assign equal percentages. First ring-fence enough for several months of essential outgoings, including the mortgage and service charge. Then reserve realistic amounts for moving and genuinely urgent inspection items. Furniture comes last: the property can be functional without every room being finished immediately. Also keep a small unallocated amount, because the first few months tend to reveal costs that were not obvious during viewings.
 
Does the £24,180 remain after the first mortgage payment and any service-charge payment due around completion, or are those still coming from it? I’d also want to know the insurance excess and whether the inspection concerns the interior only or points to anything involving the wider building. Those answers could materially change what is truly available for furniture.
 
That’s a useful distinction. I’ve treated the £24,180 as one general pot rather than separating payments due around completion from longer-term reserves. I’ll confirm the timing of the first mortgage payment and service charges before setting a furniture budget. My current thought is to furnish only the rooms I need straight away and keep the rest untouched until the inspection findings have been priced.
 
I wouldn’t create a large repair allowance solely because an inspection lists defects. Reports often mix urgent work with items that can be monitored or scheduled later. Get costs for anything significant, then decide whether it affects your offer or your first-year budget.

That said, £24,180 is not automatically excessive for a £390,000 purchase once emergency savings and building-related costs are included. If preserving a proper reserve means leaving one bedroom sparsely furnished for a while, that seems the safer compromise.
 
Back
Top