How much of a $27,000 post-closing buffer should stay untouched?

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a 5-bed detached home in Chicago at around $565,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly $27,000 in cash left.

I expect the inspection could uncover ordinary first-year work, but I don’t want every repair to become an emergency. How would you divide that amount among emergency savings, moving costs, immediate repairs and furniture? I’m open to buying below my maximum if $27,000 is too thin for this size of home.
 
I’d start with a deliberately conservative split: $15,000 untouched for emergencies, $5,000 for inspection-related priorities, $2,000 for moving and setup charges, $2,000 for essential furniture, and $3,000 unassigned. The exact figures matter less than keeping furniture from consuming repair money. If your normal emergency fund needs to exceed $15,000, that points toward a lower purchase price.
 
What does the $27,000 exclude besides closing costs? In particular, have you already accounted for the first mortgage payment, insurance, moving quotes and any service or utility setup charges? I’d also want to know the age and apparent condition of the roof, heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical systems before deciding whether $5,000 for early work is realistic.
 
I think $27,000 is on the lean side for a $565,000 five-bedroom property, even if the inspection looks ordinary. A larger house gives you more rooms to furnish and potentially more components to maintain. That doesn’t mean you cannot proceed, but I wouldn’t treat the entire $27,000 as available spending money. One major repair plus an insurance deductible could absorb a meaningful part of it.
 
That’s fair, although I wouldn’t abandon the house solely because a hypothetical major repair might happen. The inspection can separate urgent defects from items with years of useful life left. Fatima could also make the purchase decision conditional on preserving the emergency portion: if essential work and moving costs would push cash below that floor, renegotiate if appropriate or walk away.
 
Make a 12-month list rather than one general “repairs” number. Put each likely item under safety/water intrusion, prevents further damage, comfort, or cosmetic. Fund the first two categories; delay the rest. Do the same with furniture—beds and a table may be immediate, while filling all five bedrooms is not. That should show whether the proposed buckets are genuinely workable.
 
Also compare the cash position month by month. Confirm with the lender when the first mortgage payment is due rather than assuming the timing, and obtain the actual insurance premium and deductible figures. Keep the emergency fund liquid; planned furniture purchases or decorating should not count as savings just because they can technically be cancelled.
 
My practical threshold would be: after moving, essential purchases and every inspection item that must be addressed promptly, can you still retain several months of core household expenses plus the applicable insurance deductible? If not, buying somewhat below $565,000 is the cleaner solution. If yes, the $27,000 may be workable—but only with staged furniture and no cosmetic renovation spree in year one.
 
Back
Top