How much of a CHF 19,360 post-closing buffer should stay untouched?

otis.cove

Buyer
Established
The purchase budget says this 2-bed Zurich apartment is within reach, but I hesitate at how little flexibility remains afterward. At a price near CHF 528,000, I expect about CHF 19,360 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

I do not want to allocate that money before the inspection findings are clear. My tentative order is an untouched emergency reserve, the insurance excess and moving costs, then essential repairs; furniture can wait. Would you set the minimum reserve first and proceed only if the inspection keeps the remaining first-year costs below the balance?
 
I’d separate the CHF 19,360 before mentally spending any of it: first an emergency amount that remains untouched, then known moving and repair costs. Furniture would come last and could be bought gradually. Also include the first mortgage payment, service charges and the insurance excess in your cash-flow plan rather than assuming the purchase costs are the finish line.
 
Your normal monthly outgoings set the minimum reserve before the apartment costs are considered. CHF 19,360 may cover a long runway or only a short one, depending on that figure.

Next, list the due dates for the first mortgage payment, service charges, moving bills and insurance excess. Keep the repair allowance provisional until the inspection arrives, and check whether the building expects any significant shared work. Only then decide what can safely go toward furniture.
 
I wouldn’t automatically conclude that buying below your maximum solves this. A cheaper apartment with worse inspection findings or higher service charges might leave you less secure. Compare properties by the cash remaining after all identified first-year costs, not price alone. Make a simple list of essential repairs, optional work, moving costs and furniture you can postpone; if the untouched remainder feels too small, reduce the offer or keep looking.
 
Back
Top