How much of a COP 41m post-closing buffer should remain untouched?

field.full

Buyer
Established
I want enough cash left that buying this place does not make every early expense stressful, but COP 41,000,000 feels borderline. The property is a 2-bed serviced apartment in Bogotá priced at about COP 1,558,000,000.

That balance would need to cover the move-in period as well as anything the inspection identifies. There may also be an initial service-charge bill, insurance costs and a mortgage payment arriving before my finances settle down. Furniture can wait, but I do not want to raid the emergency fund for ordinary repairs. Would this remaining cash make you lower the purchase budget, and which costs would you ring-fence first?
 
I would reserve the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable. Next, set aside the first mortgage payment, initial service charges, moving costs and the insurance excess. Repairs identified by the inspection come after that; furniture comes last and can be bought gradually. If those essential categories consume nearly all COP 41,000,000, the purchase price is probably too close to your limit.
 
The missing number is your normal monthly spending, including the proposed mortgage and service charge. COP 41,000,000 could represent a comfortable runway for one household and a short one for another. Also, does “serviced” include furniture or any recurring services, and have you received the actual service-charge figure rather than an estimate?
 
That distinction helps. The service charge is not yet confirmed, and I’m waiting for the inspection before assigning anything to repairs. I had been treating the whole COP 41,000,000 as one general cushion, but I can see that this hides how much is genuinely available. I’ll separate fixed move-in obligations from optional furniture and keep the emergency portion untouched.
 
Keeping the emergency portion separate makes sense, although I would hesitate to allocate the rest too precisely before the inspection. List the bills that are certain and when they fall due, then keep the remaining cash flexible rather than assigning it to guessed repair amounts.

Also establish whether each defect belongs to the apartment owner or to the building management. If the inspection and management information leave a healthy balance after unavoidable costs, retain it as general liquidity. If urgent owner-funded work would consume that balance, the apartment is probably too close to your ceiling.
 
True, but the inspection still needs a triage rather than just a total estimate. Ask which findings are urgent before occupation, which could worsen if delayed, and which are cosmetic. That prevents a long list of minor defects from swallowing the buffer. If accessibility matters, include the route from the entrance to the apartment, lifts and any alterations you would need immediately rather than assuming they can wait.
 
Also map the cash by date, not only by category. Confirm when the first mortgage payment is due, when service charges are collected, and when insurance must begin. Several manageable bills arriving together can create the squeeze. I would want the inspection completed and those dates confirmed before deciding whether COP 41,000,000 is enough.
 
The deciding condition is whether COP 41,000,000 still leaves your emergency reserve intact after all fixed move-in bills and urgent inspection items. It may look adequate when repairs are assumed to be minor, yet fail once several necessary jobs and service charges land together.

Run the figures once with no unexpected work and again with the inspector’s urgent items included. Leave optional furniture out of both versions. If the second budget depends on dipping into emergency cash, seek a lower price, postpone the purchase or look below COP 1,558,000,000.
 
Back
Top