My main constraint is keeping enough liquid cash to handle the first few months without relying on credit. The property is a two-bedroom Vancouver duplex priced around C$1,053,000, and my current calculation leaves approximately C$36,450 once the purchase deposit and closing expenses are covered.
That money may need to absorb moving costs, the first mortgage payment, the insurance deductible, shared charges and any work that the inspection identifies as urgent. Furniture can be delayed, but I do not yet know how much should be reserved for repairs or whether the duplex has strata responsibilities that could create additional costs.
How would you set a minimum emergency reserve before allocating anything to the move and the property? I’m willing to lower my purchase budget if C$36,450 is too little breathing room.
That money may need to absorb moving costs, the first mortgage payment, the insurance deductible, shared charges and any work that the inspection identifies as urgent. Furniture can be delayed, but I do not yet know how much should be reserved for repairs or whether the duplex has strata responsibilities that could create additional costs.
How would you set a minimum emergency reserve before allocating anything to the move and the property? I’m willing to lower my purchase budget if C$36,450 is too little breathing room.