How much of C$58,050 should remain untouched after closing?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
C$58,050 is the amount driving my decision. That is what I expect to retain after the deposit and estimated closing costs on a 1-bed Montreal townhouse priced around C$317,200, provided the inspection is reasonably clean.

I am not convinced that dividing it into neat pots straight away is sensible. Some costs are fixed, while furniture can be postponed and repair needs are still unknown. Before treating any of the balance as spendable, I plan to verify the inspection findings, recurring charges and the deductible shown on the insurance policy.

Would you keep the emergency reserve entirely separate, then fund the move and essential work from what remains? My priority is a functional home, not furnishing every room at once.
 
One thing I’m struggling with is what counts as genuinely available cash. Should the emergency fund be completely separate before allocating anything to inspection items? I also need to allow for any service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Furniture can wait; I mainly want the place functional when I move.
 
Most of these choices can wait; an inadequate cash reserve is the specific concern I would settle first. You can postpone a table or live with dated finishes, but rebuilding savings after an urgent repair is much harder.

I would choose an untouchable amount from your essential expenses and income security, then list the first mortgage payment, moving bill, insurance deductible and confirmed townhouse charges separately. Once the inspection is available, pay only for safety issues or work that prevents further deterioration. Furniture should come from the final remainder because it is the easiest decision to reverse.
 
The missing fact is your monthly essential outgoings. C$58,050 could represent a very large cushion or a much smaller one depending on income, mortgage payment and other debts. Do you already own basic furniture and appliances? Also confirm what charges attach to this particular townhouse and what deductible your insurance policy would leave you paying.
 
Adding the insurance deductible and townhouse charges raises a more useful question: how much of the C$58,050 is genuinely uncommitted? On a C$317,200 purchase, keeping a larger reserve by choosing a cheaper property may reduce stress, but it could also mean walking away from a suitable home without knowing whether the extra cushion is necessary.

A narrow compromise would be to set a firm floor that the account cannot fall below. For example, include several months of essential spending in that floor, then test the inspection work and first few months of ownership against the balance above it. If those costs breach the floor, reconsider the purchase; if only furniture does, delay the furniture.
 
When the inspection arrives, sort findings into three groups: safety or active damage, work likely needed within the first year, and cosmetic improvements. Price the first two before committing money to furniture. I’d also make a simple closing-to-three-month cash schedule including moving, service charges, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Winning after several rejected offers can create pressure to keep going, but the accepted price shouldn’t stop you reassessing if the inspection materially changes the picture.
 
Back
Top