How much of my MX$558,000 should remain untouched after closing?

I want enough cash left after purchase to settle in without immediately feeling stretched. The obstacle is that the MX$558,000 balance may have to cover more than I first allowed for.

The property is a 1-bed serviced apartment in Mexico City costing roughly MX$10,260,000. I still need to account properly for moving, any defects found during inspection, the first mortgage payment and whatever the building services do not cover.

What should be paid or reserved before I decide how much is genuinely available for furniture? I am willing to reduce my purchase ceiling if that is the calmer option, but I would like a sensible order for checking these costs rather than assigning the whole balance at once.
 
I would split it by urgency, not evenly. Keep the largest portion untouched for loss of income and essential living costs. Next reserve money for inspection-related work, moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and any insurance excess. Furniture comes last: buy only what makes the apartment functional, then add the rest gradually.
 
Does the MX$558,000 remain after the first mortgage payment and the next service-charge bill, or are those included in your estimate? Also ask what “serviced” actually covers. A repair inside the apartment may still be yours even if the building handles common areas. Those answers could change the usable buffer considerably.
 
I’m not convinced a neat percentage split helps before the inspection. If it flags moisture, electrical concerns or something else needing prompt attention, the repair reserve has to follow the findings. If it reports only minor items, that money can stay in the emergency fund. Make the categories flexible rather than treating each as a spending allowance.
 
Furniture is the easiest place to protect the buffer. Price a minimal move-in list: bed, basic seating, lighting and whatever the kitchen genuinely lacks. Leave decorative items and upgrades for later. I’d also get written figures and due dates for the mortgage, service charges, insurance and moving costs so the MX$558,000 is not carrying hidden commitments.
 
There is also a bigger affordability signal here: the remaining cash is only a modest cushion relative to a MX$10,260,000 purchase. That does not automatically make the apartment unaffordable, but if ordinary inspection work would cause serious anxiety, comparing a slightly cheaper property is sensible. The value of extra breathing room may outweigh features you can live without.
 
A practical sequence: wait for the inspection, list only essential repairs, confirm every payment due in the first few months, and obtain realistic moving and minimal-furniture prices. Subtract those from MX$558,000 without touching the emergency amount you decide must remain. If the result feels too tight, lower the purchase ceiling before becoming emotionally committed to this particular 1-bed.
 
Back
Top