How much of PLN 169,800 should I keep untouched after closing?

AmberMeadow

Homeowner
If too much of the remaining cash goes into furnishing the house, the first repair or clustered month of bills could leave me short. I am a first-time buyer in Warsaw considering a 4-bed coastal home for about PLN 3,970,000, and I expect roughly PLN 169,800 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

I want to keep a portion completely untouched, then account for the move, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, any recurring service charges and inspection findings. Furniture can be added gradually, but I am unsure how large the protected cash reserve should be before allocating anything else. What figures or payment dates would most change that decision?
 
I wouldn’t allocate the whole PLN 169,800. First ring-fence an emergency amount that remains untouched, then reserve money for the first mortgage payment, moving and any confirmed charges. Put inspection items in a separate pot once you know what they are. Furniture comes last: the house can function with empty rooms for a while, whereas a repair or insurance excess cannot wait.
 
Is the PLN 169,800 figure before or after the first mortgage payment and insurance are accounted for? Also, do you know whether the property has any recurring service charges? Those missing figures matter more than deciding the furniture budget now. I’d list every payment by due date, because a healthy total buffer can still feel tight if several costs land in the first month.
 
One caveat: don’t automatically treat every inspection finding as something your post-closing cash must absorb. A significant finding may affect the price or whether you proceed at all. Once the report arrives, separate urgent work from maintenance that can wait. I agree on delaying furniture, but I’d avoid choosing fixed percentages until the inspection and recurring costs are clearer.
 
Good points. The first mortgage payment and insurance excess aren’t separated out yet, and I still need to confirm whether any service charges apply. I’ll build a dated list of those costs, keep an untouched emergency fund, create a smaller moving and immediate-work pot, and furnish gradually. I’ll also treat the inspection as decision information rather than assuming the PLN 169,800 has to cover every item it mentions.
 
Back
Top