How much of S$25,460 should remain untouched after closing?

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
The practical limit is the cash I would still have available: about S$25,460, with the expected closing only 25 days away. The purchase is a 2-bed detached home costing around S$790,600, and that remainder is what should be left once the deposit and estimated completion expenses are paid.

I still need to allow for moving, the first mortgage payment and anything found during the inspection. Essential repairs cannot wait, whereas most furniture can, but I am unsure how much should remain completely untouched as an emergency fund.

Has anyone a sensible way to prioritise those items without reducing the reserve too far? I was comfortable with the numbers earlier in the process, but the approaching deadline is making every unknown feel more significant.
 
As a rough starting point, I’d keep S$15,000 completely untouched, allow S$5,000 for urgent repairs, S$2,000 for moving, S$1,000 for essential furniture and retain S$2,460 for timing surprises such as an insurance excess or the first mortgage payment arriving sooner than expected. Furniture is the easiest category to delay. The inspection could change this split considerably.
 
Before assigning amounts, what are your essential monthly expenses, and has the inspection happened yet? S$15,000 could represent a strong emergency fund or only a few months, depending on the household.

I’d also confirm whether any service or estate maintenance charges apply, the insurance excess, the actual moving quote and when the first mortgage payment falls. Those details matter more than a neat percentage split.
 
Elena’s questions are why I wouldn’t treat my suggested split as fixed. In fact, I’d push back on setting aside S$5,000 for repairs before seeing the inspection report. Keep that money uncommitted for now. Once the report arrives, separate safety or water-related work from cosmetic items, then reconsider whether S$25,460 is enough rather than mentally spending it in advance.
 
Ask the inspector to help distinguish defects needing prompt attention from routine maintenance and things that can wait. Then obtain costs for the urgent items before closing if time allows. A long list is not automatically a disastrous list; several modest jobs can look frightening when presented together. The concern is whether one costly item consumes the buffer you meant to protect.
 
One more practical step: make three furniture lists—needed on day one, needed within six months, and optional. A bed, basic lighting and somewhere to eat may be enough initially. Moving into partly empty rooms is inconvenient, but it preserves flexibility while you learn what the house actually needs. If the purchase only feels comfortable after spending most of the S$25,460 immediately, buying below your maximum is the sensible compromise.
 
Back
Top