How much would you raise rent for a reliable Chicago tenant?

jae.finch

Homeowner
The apparent gap is $711 a month: the tenant pays about $4,151, while comparable Chicago asking rents are near $4,862. The property is a detached home valued at roughly $1,040,000, and the tenant has been reliable and has looked after it well.

I am reluctant to pursue the whole difference at once because one departure could bring vacancy, preparation and reletting costs. A smaller rise tied to a clear renewal term may be the better compromise, provided the comparables genuinely match the home. How would you price the value of retaining this tenant? I will also confirm the tenancy type, required notice and applicable Chicago rules before proposing anything.
 
I wouldn’t chase the full gap in one move. One vacant month at the current rent costs $4,151 before cleaning, repairs or leasing expenses—equivalent to roughly $346 per month spread across a year. A smaller increase that keeps a dependable tenant can therefore outperform a full reset followed by turnover. Give proper written notice, explain that you reviewed comparable homes, and consider pairing the increase with a clear renewal term.
 
One additional question: how strong is the $4,862 figure? Asking rents are not necessarily achieved rents, and detached homes can differ substantially by condition, location and included maintenance. I’d compare genuinely similar homes and examine this tenant’s maintenance history before choosing a number. Also confirm whether the tenancy is fixed-term or month-to-month, since that affects timing and the Chicago rules you need to check.
 
I agree about validating the comparables, but I wouldn’t automatically give away most of a $711 monthly difference because turnover might happen. If the evidence is solid and ownership costs have risen, a meaningful increase may still be reasonable. The better retention gesture could be predictability: state the new amount, provide ample notice and avoid another review during the agreed renewal period. That lets the tenant decide based on a complete offer rather than a vague promise of a “modest” rise.
 
Put three scenarios on paper: retain at the present rent, retain after your proposed increase, and replace the tenant at the apparent market rent after realistic vacancy and preparation costs. That should reveal how many months it takes the higher rent to recover a turnover.

Before sending anything, confirm the lease terms and current Chicago notice requirements. If turnover does occur, keep deposit handling separate from routine refurbishment and follow the applicable local process. Given the payment and care history, I’d also mention those positives when discussing the change; the message need not sound adversarial just because the decision is commercial.
 
Back
Top