How should I adjust thin comparables for a £1.03m London villa?

ArloChase

Property investor
I’m torn between using the one completed sale as the main anchor and giving some weight to three current listings. Neither approach feels entirely reliable for this London villa: it is a 1-bed of roughly 2,530 sq ft, in average condition, and has been advertised at £1,030,000 for 43 days.

The light and location appeal to me, but the layout is unusual enough that a standard price-per-square-foot comparison may mislead. I also need to establish the precise micro-location, tenure, service charges, parking and outdoor space. Which of those would you resolve first before adjusting for the dated condition?

This would be our first rental, so financing and running costs also matter. I’ll still obtain a local appraisal, but I’d like to know whether the completed comparable is useful at all unless its layout and immediate surroundings are closely matched.
 
I wouldn’t apply a flat price-per-square-foot adjustment here. With only one bedroom, buyers may not value every additional foot equally; the layout and whether the space can be used sensibly matter more. Treat the completed sale as the anchor and the asking prices as evidence of seller expectations only. How is the 2,530 sq ft actually divided, and do the comparables have similarly unusual layouts?
 
Before debating condition percentages, get a realistic rental estimate. For a first rental, the important number is the return after financing, service charges if any, insurance, maintenance, management and vacant periods—not simply the discount to asking.

I’d also clarify tenure and remaining lease length before doing more valuation work. At £1.03m, an unresolved tenure issue could matter far more than dated finishes.
 
I partly disagree that tenure automatically comes first; if it is straightforward, micro-location may explain most of the gap between London comparables. A nearby street, parking arrangement or usable outdoor area can make superficially similar properties poor matches.

For condition, I would avoid an arbitrary percentage. List the dated elements, obtain rough costed scopes, then add a margin for disruption and uncertainty. Forty-three days alone is not strong evidence that the price is wrong.
 
Build a small comparison table with the completed sale first: date, distance, floor area, bedrooms, tenure or lease length, service charges, parking, outdoor space and condition. Adjust one difference at a time, but don’t treat parking or garden value as part of the floor-area calculation. Then test the resulting purchase figure against the achievable rent and all recurring costs. If those two approaches point to very different values, that is the reason to pause rather than average them.
 
Back
Top