How should I balance a Berlin studio rent review against keeping a reliable tenant?

The apparent market asking rent for my Berlin studio is close to €7,244, compared with the current rent of about €6,357. The tenant pays reliably and takes good care of the home, so I am reluctant to chase the full difference if turnover, vacancy and refurbishment would absorb it.

I am considering either leaving the rent unchanged or proposing a modest adjustment. How would you structure a fair, repeatable review that accounts for market evidence, maintenance history and payment reliability while complying with Berlin notice and rent rules? I would also like the same process to cover likely vacancy time and deposit handling if a tenant leaves.
 
Start by treating retention as having a real financial value. Compare the extra rent you could lawfully collect with a realistic turnover scenario: vacant time, advertising, repairs, cleaning and your own administration. A dependable tenant may justify staying below asking levels.

Before doing that calculation, are €7,244 and €6,357 measured on exactly the same basis—same period, furnished status, floor area and included charges?
 
Retention does have a real financial value, but I hesitate to compare it directly with the €7,244 headline figure. Advertised rents are not agreed rents, and a small set of studios can look comparable while differing in size, furnishing or included charges.

I would use a two-branch rule. If properly matched evidence supports a higher rent, check separately what the tenancy and Berlin requirements permit in amount and timing. If the evidence is weak, keep the €6,357 rent as the working benchmark rather than allowing an uncertain asking figure to drive the review. In either case, the lower legally available and evidence-supported increase should set the ceiling.
 
For consistency, I would record four things at each review: comparable evidence, the permitted timing and amount, the tenant’s payment and care history, and the estimated cost of turnover. Then write down the reason for the decision, even when the outcome is no increase. That prevents a good tenant from being rewarded or penalised according to mood rather than the same criteria used elsewhere.
 
I disagree slightly with reducing everything to a turnover calculation. If the current rent is sustainable and the tenancy is trouble-free, there is also value in predictability and goodwill that is hard to price accurately. Conversely, postponing every review can create pressure for a much larger adjustment later.

A modest, clearly explained increase may be the better middle course, but only after checking the applicable Berlin requirements on basis, notice and timing.
 
Deposit handling belongs in the exit process, not in the justification for raising rent. If the tenant does leave, keep condition records, repairs and deposit accounting separate from the rent-review file.

For the conversation itself, present the evidence and explain why you are not automatically pursuing the full advertised figure. Give proper notice and avoid implying that departure is the alternative. That preserves more goodwill than opening with “the market says €7,244.”
 
That helps. My first step will be to confirm that both figures are genuinely like-for-like and to verify the increase and notice rules that apply to this tenancy. I will then compare the lawful modest adjustment with a written turnover estimate rather than treating €7,244 as an automatic target.

I also like separating deposit administration from the rent decision. The repeatable process will be comparables, legal limits and timing, tenancy history, turnover cost, then a documented decision and respectful notice.
 
Back
Top