How should I compare a 5.91% 30-year fixed mortgage quote?

talia.nash

Homeowner
Established
The fees changed my view of this quote more than the 5.91% headline. It is a 30-year fixed mortgage for an Amsterdam purchase of roughly €280,600, but I do not yet know whether I will keep the property or loan for anything close to that long.

I’m trying to compare each offer over the same realistic time frames, including the monthly payment, upfront charges and balance still owed. I also want to understand what leaving early would cost, whether the loan can move with me and how much the calculation depends on a future refinance being available. Which figures should I ask each lender to provide?
 
The choice has to be made now, but the cost depends heavily on when you might leave. I’d run the quotes over two matching scenarios: keeping the 30-year fix and moving or repaying earlier. Use the same borrowed amount and repayment method, then include upfront fees, monthly payments, the remaining balance and any exit charge. That will expose an offer that looks cheap only because it assumes an early refinance.
 
What loan amount are you actually requesting, and how much are you putting in yourself? The €280,600 purchase price alone doesn’t show the loan-to-value, which seems to be one reason the advertised rate did not apply. Also, do you expect to remain in this property for anything close to 30 years?
 
I wouldn’t automatically use a short holding period. If the rate genuinely stays fixed for 30 years and Chloe values predictable payments, the long-term cost matters. Building the comparison around refinancing after five or ten years introduces an assumption that a suitable future deal will exist. I would compare both a stay-put case and an earlier-move case.
 
A simple spreadsheet should make this clearer. For each lender, list the rate, APR, upfront fees, monthly payment, total paid after several chosen periods, and remaining balance at each point. Then add notes for early repayment and portability instead of trying to force those terms into one number. It is also worth separating fees paid in cash from any costs added to the borrowing.
 
Ana’s two-scenario approach makes sense, but portability needs closer reading before assigning it much value. Ask each lender what happens if the next property has a different value or loan-to-value, whether the full balance can move, and whether new borrowing would be priced separately. The written answers may matter more than a portability label.
 
The 5.91% figure by itself cannot show whether the quote is competitive, because the loan-to-value and fee structure are part of the offer. Get comparable illustrations from several lenders using identical inputs and issued as close together as possible. Then choose based on affordability and the scenario you consider most likely, while confirming the early-repayment and portability wording for the Netherlands with the lender or adviser.
 
Back
Top