How should I compare a 5.96% 20-year fixed quote near Los Angeles?

miro_roofs

Property investor
Established
Choosing the wrong quote could leave me with an affordable-looking rate but a payment or fee structure that costs more in practice. I have been offered 5.96% on a purchase of about $760,000 near Los Angeles, described as fixed for 20 years. Once the lender charges and loan-to-value band were applied, the headline advertisement was much less useful.

Should I rank the options by APR, lifetime interest, or the cash paid by the date I am realistically likely to sell or refinance? A full-term comparison seems safer, but it may give too much importance to years I never reach. I also need to weigh the monthly payment, restrictions on paying early and any genuine benefit from portability.

Which figures and loan details should be identical before I compare the lenders side by side?
 
Use more than one figure. APR is useful for an initial comparison, but I’d also calculate rate, required fees and monthly principal-and-interest payments over your likely ownership period. Total interest over 20 years only deserves much weight if you genuinely expect to keep this mortgage that long. Compare quotes obtained at roughly the same time and with identical loan assumptions.
 
Is this a fully amortizing 20-year mortgage with the rate fixed for its entire term, or a longer loan with only the first 20 years fixed? That changes whether rate-reset risk exists.

Also missing are the actual loan amount, down payment, any points included in the 5.96%, and how long the quote is valid. Without those, the advertised rate and quoted rate are not really comparable.
 
I have checked how long it would take for monthly savings to recover a larger upfront fee. What remains unclear is how much confidence to place in the expected exit date.

I would not base the choice only on the assumption that you will sell or refinance on schedule. Plans change, and refinancing may be unattractive when the time comes. Compare the cost of keeping the mortgage for all 20 years with several earlier exit points. For example, a lower rate paired with a substantial fee may win over the full term but still cost more if you leave before that fee has been recovered.
 
Agreed on testing several exit dates. I’d put each lender into the same simple table: loan amount, rate, upfront lender charges, monthly payment, cash needed at closing, balance remaining at each chosen date, and any early-repayment restriction. Keep portability separate rather than assigning it value unless the written terms show exactly when and how it can be used.
 
Don’t let the comparison become only a contest for the lowest lifetime cost. The payment at 5.96% still has to leave room for the other costs of owning the property and for an unexpected income or repair shock. A cheaper 20-year loan can have a tougher monthly payment than a longer alternative. First confirm that the payment is comfortable; then compare fees and refinance assumptions.
 
Back
Top