How should I de-risk a €285,400 renovation budget in Rotterdam?

HonestHorizon

Architect
Established
The working assumption is that no structural work is needed, but that is the part I hesitate to trust before opening up a 155 m² country home. I am testing a €285,400 budget covering the kitchen, washrooms, surfaces, decoration, electrical review and some energy improvements.

Plumbing access and hidden moisture seem more capable of derailing the order of work than the chosen finishes. What should I ask the surveyor to verify about service routes, floors and damp sources? I also need to decide how large a separate contingency should be and which quotation exclusions, access costs or long-lead items could consume it.
 
I wouldn’t settle on one contingency figure until moisture and service access are clearer. Keep the reserve outside the €285,400 rather than letting it disappear into finish upgrades.

Ask whether quotations include opening up and making good after plumbing or electrical work, disposal, drying, protection and any remedial work uncovered. Have the survey focus on moisture paths, floors and concealed service routes. Also ask which materials must be ordered first and whether any part of the work needs permit confirmation. Is VAT and professional input already included in your figure?
 
Back
Top