How should I divide a $28,000 cash buffer after closing?

rowan_birch

First-time buyer
My preferred outcome is to keep a proper emergency reserve, but the unknown inspection work makes it hard to decide how much of the cash is genuinely available. The property is a 1-bed coastal home in Los Angeles at about $210,000, leaving approximately $28,000 once the initial purchase expenses are paid.

That sum must stretch across the move, urgent defects, early housing payments and the amount I would pay before insurance responds. Furniture can be bought gradually. Should I first protect a set number of months of essential expenses and allocate only the balance, or create separate pots now? I am prepared to choose a cheaper home if the reserve would be too thin.
 
I’d protect more than half as an emergency fund and treat it as unavailable for furniture. From the remainder, set aside separate amounts for moving and the first payment, then keep a repair pot for inspection items. Furniture can come last and be bought gradually. The exact split matters less than not allowing cosmetic purchases to consume money that may be needed for plumbing, electrics or an insurance excess.
 
What are your essential monthly expenses after buying, including the mortgage and any service charges? Without that, $28,000 could represent a very comfortable reserve or only a few months. I’d work backward from the number of months you want protected, rather than dividing the money into arbitrary percentages.
 
I partly disagree with creating a fixed repair allowance before the inspection. The findings could justify renegotiating, walking away, or reserving much more cash. Get the insurance cost and excess confirmed for this particular coastal home too. Until those two pieces are known, I’d budget only the unavoidable move and leave the rest unassigned.
 
A practical order would be: confirm the first-payment timing and final closing figure, obtain the inspection and insurance details, then make three lists—urgent before move-in, needed during year one, and cosmetic. Fund only the first list immediately. Keep the emergency reserve in cash, furnish the 1-bed slowly, and reconsider the purchase price if the urgent work would cut that reserve below your comfort level.
 
Back
Top