How should I divide a ₩55.2m cash buffer after buying in Seoul?

₩55,200,000 is the figure driving the choice. That is the expected cash balance after the deposit and estimated purchase costs on a 4-bed Seoul townhouse priced near ₩1,000,000,000.

It sounds comfortable in isolation, but the right split depends on what the inspection identifies, how much furniture must be bought, the moving quote and when the initial mortgage instalment falls due. I am inclined to protect an emergency amount first and release money for setup only as those figures become firm. What missing cost would most change that approach, and which inspection items would you fund immediately rather than monitor?
 
I’d protect the emergency portion first, not treat the full ₩55.2m as a house fund. One possible starting split is ₩30m untouched, ₩10m for inspection-related work, ₩5m for moving, ₩5m for essential furniture and ₩5.2m for the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess or overruns. Adjust once you have firm quotes, but keep the categories separate.
 
What does the townhouse include, and what are you bringing with you? Furnishing four bedrooms from scratch is very different from moving existing beds and storage. I’d also confirm when the first mortgage payment and any service charges actually fall due. Those timing details could change how much cash must remain immediately accessible.
 
I’d be more conservative than that split and avoid assigning ₩5m to furniture before the inspection. Repairs can arrive in clusters, while spare rooms can stay minimally furnished for months. Get the inspection, sort findings into urgent, first-year and cosmetic items, then obtain estimates for the urgent group. Until that is done, keep most of the ₩55.2m liquid and price the townhouse’s square metre value separately from the condition budget.
 
Back
Top