How should I divide a THB 1,476,000 post-closing buffer?

CalmWire

First-time buyer
If I leave too little cash after completion, an inspection issue or insurance claim could make the purchase uncomfortable from the start. I am a first-time buyer considering a 5-bed coastal home in Bangkok for about THB 33,120,000, with an estimated THB 1,476,000 remaining once the deposit and expected completion expenses are covered.

That money would need to cover the emergency reserve, moving, essential repairs and at least basic furnishings. I am inclined to leave rooms unfinished rather than reduce the emergency fund, but I do not yet know what the inspection will show. How much would you hold back until the report arrives, and should the insurance excess and first mortgage payment sit in separate pots? If the resulting reserve is too thin, I would prefer to lower the purchase budget.
 
I would protect the emergency fund first, then reserve enough for moving and the first mortgage payment. Furniture comes last because most rooms can remain incomplete. The repair amount cannot sensibly be fixed until you have the inspection findings.
 
Does the THB 1,476,000 already allow for any service charge due near completion, the insurance premium and its excess? Also check the timing of the first mortgage payment. Those items can arrive close together even when they were included in separate estimates.
 
One location point: will you live in the coastal property full-time, or remain based in Bangkok for a while? A delayed move or maintaining two places would change the buffer considerably, particularly before you even reach the furniture stage.
 
At roughly 4.5% of the purchase price, that remaining cash does not look excessive for a 5-bed coastal home. I would not assign it all yet. Freeze furniture spending until the inspection separates urgent work from cosmetic defects.
 
I would add that not every mortgage payment needs its own permanent reserve if regular income comfortably covers it. The important issue is timing: know what leaves the account between completion and the next income date, then keep that amount liquid.
 
For inspection findings, I would prioritise anything involving water entry, drainage, electrics, cooling or security. Worn finishes and imperfect guest rooms can wait. A large house creates many tempting small projects that collectively consume the buffer.
 
As a provisional split, perhaps 60% untouched emergency cash, 20% for moving and completion-week expenses, and 20% for urgent repairs. I would fund furniture gradually from later income. Those percentages should change if the inspection produces a significant item.
 
Because it is coastal, ask the inspector to pay particular attention to signs of moisture, corrosion, roof or window leakage, external drainage and the condition of air-conditioning equipment. That does not mean defects exist; it helps turn a vague repair allowance into a property-specific one.
 
Is there a recurring service charge, and when is the next payment due? Even if the annual amount is affordable, an early lump payment could collide with moving and insurance costs. I would include it in the completion-period pot rather than the general emergency fund.
 
If the inspection identifies costly work, do not assume the cash buffer must absorb it. Depending on the contract and negotiations, the findings may affect whether you proceed, the price you accept or what you ask to be addressed. Keep those options open.
 
For furniture, make a room-by-room list with three columns: needed on move-in, useful within six months, and optional. A bed and basic window coverings may be immediate; furnishing all five bedrooms to the same standard probably is not.
 
The danger with a 5-bed home is buying for the finished photograph rather than actual use. Empty rooms cost nothing. I would furnish the rooms you will use daily, live with the layout, and only then decide what the remaining spaces need.
 
Thinking again about my 60/20/20 suggestion, it is too rigid if the property is not your only home or if income is irregular. The emergency portion should reflect household commitments outside this purchase, not simply a percentage of the THB 1,476,000.
 
One very practical task: obtain the lender’s exact first-payment date and amount before completion. Do not rely on the normal monthly schedule, because the first collection may not align neatly with your assumptions. The same applies to any completion-related service charge.
 
Read the proposed insurance terms closely enough to know the excess you would have to pay yourself. I would keep at least that amount accessible, separate from the furniture budget. Coverage and claims treatment depend on the actual policy and Thai arrangements, so assumptions are risky.
 
A simple worksheet could now have five lines: untouchable household emergency fund, first-payment and service-charge timing, moving costs, insurance cash requirement, and priced urgent inspection items. Whatever remains is the maximum furniture allowance—not a target to spend.
 
Also test how quickly the reserve rebuilds after purchase. THB 1,476,000 is more reassuring if normal monthly cash flow replenishes it; less so if the mortgage leaves no surplus. The closing balance alone does not show whether the purchase is comfortable.
 
Are the estimated closing costs firm enough to rely on, or is there still uncertainty in that figure? I would leave a separate completion contingency until every payable amount is confirmed. Otherwise the repair reserve may be reduced before you receive the keys.
 
Once the report arrives, get realistic prices and timing for the few items marked urgent. A long defect list can look frightening, but it may contain mostly minor maintenance. Conversely, one water-related issue can matter more than twenty cosmetic notes.
 
Back
Top