How should I split a $19,000 cash buffer after closing?

I’m a first-time buyer in Austin looking at a 3-bed coastal home around $395,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly $19,000 left.

The inspection could uncover ordinary first-year work, so how would you divide that money among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I’d rather buy slightly below my maximum than have every small problem become a financial emergency.
 
As a starting split, I’d ring-fence $10,000 as an emergency fund, allow $3,000 for moving and setup, hold $4,000 for inspection-related repairs, and limit furniture to $2,000. Those aren’t target spending amounts—the unused portions stay in cash. Also confirm when the first mortgage payment is due rather than assuming you’ll have a full payment-free month.
 
The proposed split has no context without your monthly outgoings. My specific concern is insurance: for a coastal home, the premium, deductible and scope of cover could consume more of the buffer than expected.

Check those figures along with any service charges and the date of the first mortgage payment. Once that cash is set aside, compare the remaining emergency fund with several months of your usual spending. A nominal $10,000 reserve may be ample for one household and very thin for another.
 
I’d be more conservative than sbakker on repairs versus emergencies. A repair fund is still part of your emergency cash until the inspection identifies something specific. Keep most of the $19,000 untouched, pay for the move, and furnish slowly. A spare bedroom can remain empty; a leak or failed appliance cannot wait. If the inspection finds expensive work, that should affect the purchase decision or negotiations rather than automatically consuming your buffer.
 
Make three lists after the inspection: required before moving in, needed within a year, and cosmetic. Get estimates for the first category before closing. Then total moving costs, insurance, any service charges and the first mortgage payment, and subtract those from the $19,000. What remains is the real emergency cushion. If that number feels thin against your monthly expenses, buying below the $395,000 target is the sensible adjustment; furniture is the easiest item to delay.
 
Back
Top