How should I split a €22,080 post-closing buffer in Lisbon?

I keep switching between protecting most of the cash as an emergency reserve and assigning firm amounts to the costs I already know are coming. The apartment is a 2-bed in Lisbon at about €358,800, and my estimate leaves €22,080 once the deposit and closing expenses are paid.

The inspection could change the priorities. Until then, I need a sensible allowance for the move, essential repairs, basic furniture, service charges, the policy excess and the first mortgage instalment. How much would you leave untouched, and how much would you earmark now? I’m comfortable delaying furniture if that is what keeps an ordinary first-year problem manageable.
 
I’d keep at least half completely separate as the emergency fund. From the remainder, reserve money for moving and essential inspection items first, then basic furniture. Don’t furnish both bedrooms immediately unless necessary. I’d also keep a small unassigned pot for the first mortgage payment, service charges or costs that arrive at an awkward time.
 
I’d avoid fixing the split before seeing the inspection and the apartment building’s current charges. A €5,000 repair allowance could be excessive or nowhere near enough depending on what is found. Do you already know whether any building work or service-charge payment is expected soon? Until that is clear, furniture would be last on my list; most of it can wait, whereas water, electrical or security issues cannot.
 
Back
Top