How should I split a ₹2,004,000 buffer after buying a Bengaluru condo?

kit_reese

Homeowner
Established
I’ve checked the deposit and estimated closing costs, but I still cannot tell how much of the remainder is genuinely spare. After 116 days of searching, I’m considering a 2-bed Bengaluru condo at about ₹114,800,000, which would leave approximately ₹2,004,000 in cash.

The unclear items are the first service-charge bill, moving expenses, any urgent inspection findings and the emergency reserve. Furniture is easy to postpone. Should I wait for the inspection and service-charge details before setting amounts, or is this cushion already too small relative to the purchase price?
 
I wouldn’t assign fixed percentages to all four categories yet. The concern is that known bills could quietly consume money being counted as a safety cushion.

Start by subtracting the first mortgage payment, moving and setup costs, service charges and the insurance excess. If what remains can cover both a proper emergency reserve and inspection items that prevent damage or address safety, the purchase may still work. If it cannot, reduce the purchase budget. Furniture belongs in the second branch: buy only essentials now and add the rest later.
 
Does the ₹2,004,000 already account for the first service-charge bill and mortgage payment, or only the purchase closing costs? That distinction could change the answer considerably. I’d also ask the inspector to separate urgent defects from maintenance that can wait six or twelve months, rather than budgeting for every item at once.
 
The cushion must cover costs the inspection cannot predict. That is the practical constraint here, especially when ₹2,004,000 is being left after a ₹114,800,000 purchase.

Do you have the current service-charge statement and a clear list of what has already been included in the closing estimate? Those figures would change my answer. I would first reserve the known payments, then wait for the prioritised inspection report before committing money to repairs. If the remaining emergency reserve is still comfortable, proceed in stages; if urgent work would eat into it, look at a lower purchase price.
 
That helps. I was mentally treating the whole ₹2,004,000 as one flexible pot, which is probably the mistake. I’ll separate the first mortgage payment, service charges, moving costs and an emergency reserve before deciding what is genuinely available for repairs. I’ll also ask for the inspection findings to be prioritised and postpone nonessential furniture. If that leaves the repair allowance too thin, I’ll reduce the purchase budget rather than rely on the buffer.
 
Back
Top