How should I split AED 154,100 of cash left after buying?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I have allowed for the deposit and the closing figures I know about, but I am still unsure how much of the remaining cash is genuinely free to spend. On a 5-bed apartment costing about AED 3,101,000, the balance should be around AED 154,100.

The inspection could identify work that needs doing soon, and I have not finalised moving costs or the likely insurance excess. How much would you ring-fence for those items and general emergencies before budgeting for essential furniture? I can delay furnishing unused rooms; I cannot easily undo a purchase that leaves no room for surprises.
 
I would protect the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furniture. Then reserve cash for the first mortgage payment and any costs whose timing overlaps with closing. Moving and essential repairs come next; furnishing spare rooms can wait.
 
One missing detail: does the AED 154,100 already account for the first mortgage payment, service charges due around the handover and an insurance excess? If any of those are uncertain, they belong in the reserved portion rather than the decorating budget.
 
Is the apartment empty, partly furnished or ready to occupy? “Moving” can mean only transport and utility setup, or it can mean equipping a kitchen and five bedrooms. Those are completely different budgets, so I would list what is genuinely needed during the first month.
 
Good point. A provisional split might be emergency cash, a separate property contingency, known move-in costs and only a small essentials-only furniture pot. I would not assign exact amounts until the inspection and the service-charge figure are available.
 
I disagree slightly with using broad percentages. For a 5-bed apartment, furniture could absorb whatever percentage you give it. Get actual moving and essential-item prices, set fixed caps for those, then leave the remainder untouched. Otherwise the buffer quietly becomes a shopping budget.
 
Ask for the service-charge amount and when the next payment is expected. Also confirm what the closing-cost estimate includes rather than assuming every handover-related expense is inside it. The timing matters almost as much as the total when the mortgage is starting.
 
Keep the insurance excess in mind, but don’t merge it with the repairs pot. An inspection item you choose to fix is different from an insured event. Separate buckets make it less tempting to spend money that is meant for a genuinely unexpected problem.
 
With the information available, I would build the plan in this order: untouchable household emergency fund; first-payment and service-charge timing reserve; urgent inspection work; moving and setup; basic furniture. The last category receives only what remains, not a guaranteed share.
 
Also distinguish defects inside the apartment from findings involving the wider building or common areas. Responsibility can depend on the documents and circumstances, so don’t automatically budget to repair every line in the report yourself. First establish what the finding actually affects.
 
A five-bedroom home does not need five finished bedrooms on day one. Furnish the rooms you will actually use, buy the practical basics and close the doors on the rest. Delaying optional furniture is much easier than rebuilding an emergency fund after completion.
 
The size of the cash pile alone cannot answer this. What would matter to me is how quickly it can be rebuilt after the purchase. Stable monthly surplus can support a smaller buffer; tight cash flow makes AED 154,100 feel much less comfortable once mortgage and service charges begin.
 
For the inspection, sort findings into three groups: must be dealt with before occupation, should be handled during the first year, and cosmetic. Only the first group deserves an immediate cash allocation. That prevents a long report from making every minor item look urgent.
 
And ask for rough cost ranges or contractor quotations for the important findings before finalising the split. A vague “allow for repairs” number is hard to protect because it can be either far too cautious or nowhere near enough.
 
Agreed, although inspection reports can also contain items that need monitoring rather than immediate spending. A sensible contingency should cover credible work, not the theoretical cost of fixing every observation at once. Clarifying priority is as useful as getting prices.
 
Until the report arrives, I would pause furniture decisions entirely. If it comes back clean, that does not mean the whole repair reserve should immediately move to furnishings—keep it through the first few months, when practical issues and actual running costs become clearer.
 
Before committing, put the mortgage payment date, expected service charge, moving quotes, insurance excess and essential repairs on one page. Subtract those from AED 154,100, then decide whether the remaining emergency fund still lets you sleep comfortably. If not, buying below the maximum is the sensible answer.
 
Back
Top